What Does a Good Listing Agent Do?
In one of the largest, most complicated financial transactions of your life, what exactly does a real estate agent do to help you sell your home? The answer is…a lot!
When you are ready to sell your home, choosing the right agent is imperative. A good agent will be by your side throughout the process, offering expertise and advice that will make your transaction smooth and successful. A good agent will protect you from the unforeseen pitfalls of selling, and will advocate for you every step of the way.
A good listing agent:
- Cares more about your priorities and goals than their commission. (The smartest agents know that if you take care of the client, the commission takes care of itself.) A good agent’s goal is to, by their efforts and expertise, save and make you more money than what they cost.
- Is knowledgeable about the market in your geographic area inside and out, including—property types, values, market trends, neighborhoods, pros and cons, legal issues, and agents.
- Renders honest and expert counsel on market values, conditions, and pricing in order to achieve the strongest market response and highest possible sales price; they provide you with excellent market analytics to substantiate their counsel and assist you in your decision making.
- Provides professional know-how around preparing your property to show; when buyers or agents first see your home–online, in ads, mail pieces, brochures or in person–it will look its absolute best.
- Spends more money on marketing your home than the typical agent; money is invested upfront on professional photography, comprehensive online marketing, (this may include, but is not limited to, geofencing, retargeting, facebook and instagram ads), gorgeous promotional materials, direct mail, and other buyer and broker advertising campaigns to reach every potential buyer and every agent who might have a buyer. They will help make a compelling impression, and will create a sense of urgency to obtain quick, strong, clean offers.
- Performs proactive buyer qualifying and pre-sale disclosure management to reduce the odds of accepting an offer from someone who will not perform and helping preclude buyer attempts to renegotiate after offer acceptance.
- Negotiates effectively and at your instruction; aggressively achieves the best possible price and terms. They are a skillful negotiator committed to your interests, and can easily make a 3%-5% difference in the sales price, and sometimes much more.
- Never makes decisions for you nor pushes you to make decisions a certain way; they present all the information, options, and strategies for your consideration.
- Never pressures you to accept offers too quickly, or before the home has been fully exposed to the market, knowing that a single additional buyer can add substantially to the sales price. You are the sole decision maker regarding which (if any) offer to accept.
- Ensures that you understand what’s happening, what’s necessary, and what’s at stake at every step.
- Tells you the truth as best as can be discerned—positives, negatives, upsides, and downsides; even what you might not want to hear or what might change your mind in terms of proceeding with a transaction.
- Offers an array of qualified professional resources—inspectors, lawyers, escrow and loan agents, etc.—and advises you when their counsel is required.
- Coordinates, manages, and controls, based upon your decisions, every aspect of the process. They provide buttoned-up transaction management to minimize unpleasant surprises, delays in the close of escrow, and any potential future liability (in the most litigious state in the country).
- Diligently maintains the security of your home during all showings and open houses.
- Gives you the time and attention you need.
- Keeps his or her promises.
- Works hard. And, works on your timeline. They work hard to minimize your effort and stress and to make or save you more money than they cost.
- Ideally, loves the business of real estate—because it’s simply much more enjoyable to work with someone who loves what they do.
Why the right agent makes the difference
The list you’ve read above represents the standards we try to live up to at the Krishnan Team. The quality of the agent working on your behalf—his or her competence, integrity, work ethic, and commitment to your interests—can make an enormous difference in the outcome of your home purchase or sale: in terms of money, stress, time, and future happiness. The simple truth is that, just as with lawyers, doctors, contractors and the other important professionals you use when needed, some real estate agents are much better than others–and it shows up in their results. Head over to How to Hire the Best Real Estate agent in San Francisco to learn more about what makes a great agent, what interview questions to ask agents before hiring them, and how our reputation makes us stand out.
The Krishnan Team advantage – 10+ years of helping people buy and sell their homes
At the Krishnan Team, because we ARE a team, we can do more. We have two dedicated buyers agents and two dedicated listing agents. We are able to quickly find solutions and implement them. We also have the best digital presence in the business and, given that digital is more important than ever for marketing real estate, we offer this huge advantage. 60% of buyers find their home online, and by listing with our team, you are ensuring you are in front of every potential buyer.
We simply have the best marketing in the business, and we will sell your home at top dollar (we have the track record to prove it). Our average list-to-sale ratio is 3% higher than the city average. We always put your needs above ours and treat your money as if it came from our own pockets.
Have questions? Reach out to us! Call us at 415-735-5867 for a no-obligation consultation. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about The Krishnan Team and browse our testimonials by visiting ruthkrishnan.com.